Friday, March 1, 2013

The Oscars of 2013 ... over and done: Predictions and Winners


OSCARS -- The Academy Awards of Motion Picture

Well, I am adding this part at the top of my blog, because I forgot to send it out.  Here are my picks and the winners of the 2013 Academy Awards: Oscar!

I didn't see the whole ceremony, so i can't really comment on it in depth.  I was disappointed in Seth McFarland's performance.  It was a bit crass, even for Hollywood.  He is a genius, but has made far more money off of farts and burps.

However, other performances were awesome and well received.


Best Pictures candidates: Amour, Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Django Unchained, Les Miserables, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, and Zero Dark Thirty.

I saw 5 of the 9 and liked all of them.  I saw Argo, Les Miserables, Life of Pi, Lincoln, and Silver Linings Playbook.  I didn't get a chance to see the others, but read up on them.  Most of them sounded good.  I thought Argo was the best overall picture with the right acting of lesser known and well known people.  It brought to us a story that we all knew, but didn't know.  It had been hidden for years.

Les Miserables was a time-old story with so many different aspects that you can't help route for the hero/underdog and there were many.  The singing was raw, as was the acting.  Other than a few miscast roles, it will be a favorite.  Lincoln took another somewhat known story and told it around the 13th Amendment.  It was a bit too emotional, looking for 'all the right lines' to quote.

Life of Pi was a beautiful movie, that left you really wanting it to be more.  Watch in 3D to get the visual effect.  Silver Linings Playbook was the "independent" feel movie.  It was very raw and funny, in a non-funny way.  It is worth the view.

My pick: Argo
My dark horse: Lincoln
Oscar Winner: Argo


Best Actor in a leading role candidates: Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings Playbook), Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln), Hugh Jackman (Les Miserables), Joaquim Phoenix (the Master), Denzel Washington (Flight).

I saw 3 of the 5 movies and heard that Joaquin was back to sanity and did a good job.  Hugh Jackman gave a more than respectable performance for Jean Valjean.  But, Day-Lews was Lincoln.  It was uncanny how you didn't even question if it was Abraham Lincoln in the movie ... it was.

My pick: Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)
My dark horse: Hugh Jackman (Les Miserables)
Oscar Winner: Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)


Best Actress in a leading role candidates: Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty), Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook), Emmanuelle Riva (Amour), Quvenzhane Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild), Naomi Watts (the Impossible).




I saw both the Impossible and Silver Linings Playbook.  From what I saw of Jessica Chastain, she was excellent and Riva was supposedly very endearing in Amour.  I like Naomi Watts in the Impossible, but have continued to be impressed by Jennifer Lawrence in her roles.  It is refreshing to see not only another young actress impress (continually), but to see a great, strong female actor.



My pick: Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook)
My dark horse: Emmanuelle Riva (Amour)
Oscar WinnerJennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook)


Best Actor in a supporting role candidates: Alan Arkin (Argo), Robert DeNiro (Silver Linings Playbook), Phillip Seymour Hoffman (the Master), Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln), Christopher Waltz (Django Unchained).

I liked Alan Arkin and Robert DeNiro in their roles.  They are usually strong supporting characters (and strong leads, when they are cast).  I liked how Tommy Lee Jones took a strong acting role in an excellent movie and delivered.  That is why he was my dark horse.  Waltz is a great actor, but was in a very weak movie.  He captured his oscar, already.  Phillip Seymour Hoffman is excellent in most of what he does.  He didn't disappoint, here.

My pick: Phillip Seymour Hoffman (the Master)
My dark horse: Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln)
Oscar Winner: Christopher Waltz (Django Unchained)


Best Actress in a supporting role candidates: Amy Adams (the Master), Sally Fields (Lincoln), Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables), Helen Hunt (the Sessions), and Jackie Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook).

This was a very strong field of women for the supporting actress role.  In fact, it may be stronger than the leading actress.  Helen Hunt did excellent in an awkward role.  Sally Fields didn't disappoint as Mary Todd Lincoln.  Amy Adams has been delightful in almost everything she has been in.  I hope to see her continue in both silly and serious roles!  Jacki Weaver was very respectable.  None, however, were able to contend with the role and the acting of Anne Hathaway in the role of Fantine in Les Miserables.  She was raw and open, and very unbelievable.

My pick: Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables)
My dark horse: Helen Hunt (the Sessions)
Oscar WinnerAnne Hathaway (Les Miserables)


Best Director candidates: Michael Haneke (Amour), Benh Zeitlin (Beasts of the Southern Wild), Ang Lee (Life of Pi), Steven Spielberg (Lincoln), and David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook).

Of course, the big drama here was around the exclusion of Ben Affleck, for Argo.  I personally would've put him as my pick.  Alas, he wasn't present.  All of the films were more than they could've been, because of the directing.  This is a group of veterans and somewhat fresh people.  I felt the strongest in this group was Spielberg for Lincoln.  I was very pleased with Russell for his movement for his movie, as well.  I liked Life of Pi, but felt it was second tier in directing.  .

My pick: Steven Spielberg (Lincoln)
My dark horse: David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook)
Oscar Winner:  Ang Lee (Life of Pi)


Best Animated Feature Film candidates: Brave, Frankenweenie, ParaNorman, The Pirates Band of Misfits, and Wreck-it Ralph,

I start with the Pirates, as I have really enjoyed Aardman's movies.  Frankenweenie was a bit far fetched, but you can't count out Tim Burton.  ParaNorman was okay.  Wreck-it Ralph was very good, with a strong cast and a super story (and moral).  However, you just can't compete with Pixar.

My pickBrave (Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman)
My dark horse: Wreck-it Ralph (Rich Moore)
Oscar WinnerBrave (Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman)


Best Writing - Adapted candidates: Argo (written by Chris Terrio), Beasts of the Southern Wild (screenplay by Lucy Alibar and Benh Zeitlin), Life of Pi (written by David Magee), Lincoln (written by Tony Kushner), and Silver Linings Playbook (written by David O. Russell)

Again, you know that I saw most of these and loved them.  I wouldn't have been surprised by any of these writers winning.  I liked the written portion of Silver Linings Playbook and thought Tony Kushner did a great job with Lincoln.  I wasn't surprised by Chris Terrio winning for Argo.  It was Argo's night!

My pickTony Kushner for Lincoln
My dark horse: David O. Russell for Silver Linings Playbook
Oscar Winner: Chris Terrio for Argo


Best Writing - Original candidates: Amour (written by Michael Hineke), Django Unchained (written by Quentin Tarantino) Flight (written by John Gatins), Moonrise Kingdom (written by Wes Anderson and Roman Kapola), and Zero Dark Thirty (written by Mark Boal).

It seemed an easy win here for Wes Anderson and Roman Kapola for Moonrise Kingdom, which was a surprise to not be in other categories.  Zero Dark Thirty was well written and Amour was nominated for many awards, so it wouldn't have surprised, either.  The surprise: Django Unchained.  For a weak film that disappointed at the box office and in the theaters, it is surprising it did so well.  But, there is never a dull moment when friends vote for friends.

My pick: Wes Anderson and Roman Kapola for Moonrise Kingdom
My dark horse: Mark Boal for Zero Dark Thirty
Oscar WinnerQuentin Tarantino for Django Unchained



Other Oscar categories
Cinematography: Life of Pi was the winner.  No question on this one.  
Costume Design: Anna Karenina was the winner.  I wasn't suprised, and saw it going to Anna, or Lincoln, or Les Miserables.
Foreign Language Film: Amour won.  I expected this as it was so well received.
Music - Original Song: Skyfall by Adelle Adkins and Paul Epworth. This was a great song and Adelle continues to mystify.
Short Film - Animated:  Paperman won.  I saw this early on last year and loved it.  I don't know the other entries, but was glad to see this one win.  
Sound Mixing: Les Miserables. You'd be surprised if this was not won by Les Mis.  It was an exceptional mixing and bold take on music in film.
Visual Effects: Life of Pi is the winner.  For what the movie lacked in excitement and movement, it made up in the visual effects and story.  You should see this one in 3D, if you get the chance.  It was magical, akin to Avatar.

No comments:

Post a Comment